Friday, February 15, 2008

The Name of the Game is Effort

Courtesy of Alan Stein, CCS, CSCS, SPARQ Certified

Elite Athlete Training Systems

Should I use free weights or machines? Would it be better to use high reps or low reps? Should I move the weights explosively or in a slow and controlled manner? Are multiple sets more productive than single sets? Should I train my entire body each workout or only certain body parts? Do I need to do any isolation movements or will compound movements get the job done? How important is periodization? Should I use wrist straps and knee wraps? What about a belt? Should I max out on the bench and squat to see how strong I am? Will Creatine and Andro help me reach my potential? Should I train in the morning or in the evening? Do I need a training partner?

Athletes, bodybuilders, fitness enthusiasts, strength coaches, personal trainers, and any one else interested in training and conditioning search for these answers on a daily basis - in hopes of finding the perfect strength training routine. Most of these people are under the assumption that if they find the answers to these questions that they (or those that they train) will start attaining maximum results. While I have my own thoughts and opinions on each of the above questions, I think they miss the big picture. The real question that needs to be asked is, "how hard do you train?" Regardless of your methods or modalities, I firmly believe that maximum results are a product of maximum effort (which in this case effort is a synonym for intensity). Without maximum effort and intensity the rest is rather meaningless. The more effort you put into each rep, set, and workout - the better your results. It's that simple.

Unfortunately, there is a catch. Putting forth true effort each and every time you train is easier said than done. It takes determination, perseverance, and a will to succeed. It takes discipline, focus, and extreme concentration. It takes the ability to fight through the "discomfort" that accompanies intense training as well as the power to push yourself to your limits. For these reasons, and these reasons alone, most people fall short of tapping into their true physical potential and never attain the results they desire.

Next time you work out, when you finish, take a good hard look in the mirror and ask yourself if you trained as hard as you could have. Ask yourself if you put forth the kind of effort necessary to be a champion. Ask yourself if you did everything in your power to reach your goals and improve yourself. Only YOU know the real answers.

www.sparqtraining.com